Wednesday 2 December 2009

Wet Wednesday

Rain, rain, rain, thought that it was easing up a bit. Was nice beginning of the week, sunshine, river dropping, hoped it would last.... no such luck! Ah well, it is December after all. Could be worse - like snowed under..... not very likely this time of year.

J had to go to the Doc's on Monday, bronchitis again. No he's not smoking (although the wood burner is a bit!) but it has been damp outside and that is what seems to trigger it. It must be the 4th or 5th time over the past 5 years. For someone that never suffered chest problems prior to coming out here it is not so good. So he has been prescribed loads of pills and potions in order to help ease his cough. I am shoving multivitamins down him as well and trying to cook him the healthiest foods - well getting him to eat healthier... He does love his fried food.

Bisto the cat is fine, he is in and out of the cat door, demands to be dried off when he gets wet. Seems to enjoy eating everything I give him - except cat food!! I wonder why? Pixie has even started to play again. She was getting to be a bit lazy , it is doing her good having another cat keeping her on her toes!

Went to sort out some of our daughters problems today, problem with the bank, problem with the tax office. All of this done in my official capacity of 'Mum' . The guy at the bank could not be more helpful. He didn't speak any English but my French was good enough for him to understand the problem that our daughter had. That was the first thing solved.

Then to the tax office this afternoon.

I can't understand why so many people have a problem with consulting the tax office. It was the same in the UK. The company I worked for as 'wages' clerk sent me on a course at the tax office, so that I could get everything done correctly. I found them very useful and helpful. If I had a query with any tax affairs off I went and got the help I needed, it makes their job easier in the long run if we 'Joe Public' get it right in the first place.

There were 3 'things' at the tax office. The receptionist looked at the three, then smiled, "OK, premier etage, porte B, et apres, a cote." So off we went , 1st floor , door B. Lovely lady, just said that we need to get the form to our daughter for her to sign and then back to them.... 1st tax problem solved. Then out to the open desk on that floor. I explained the 2nd problem. "pas de probleme, madame!" She printed out a form , I completed and signed it and she was happy, (me too). "c'est tout, au revoir et bonne journee." Down to reception for the 3rd item. A guy took us into his office, I explained the 3rd problem. He went onto the computer. Checked things out and , once again - problem resolved. These three things all related to the renovation that our daughter and her partner are doing to the barn attached to our house..... Three different departments in the tax office. Each and every staff member were understanding and the whole exercise was completed within half an hour.... and it is rumoured that the French take forever to resolve things.....

So today, on a wet Wednesday, I had my 'Mum' hat on (or was it chapeau de Maman?) and solved, once again, problems for our daughter... I never thought that I would be doing that!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you're right about this odd attitude to taxmen and tax offices. Most of them are fine and keen to help...makes life easier all round...so why people regard them like witchdoctors I don't know.

    Well done, the 'Old Biddie'. Hope the family are duly grateful.

    ReplyDelete