Saturday 28 November 2009

Baby weather and curries


Definitely 'Baby weather' - wet and windy.........It is horrible outside..... The wind is howling around the house, bringing the rain with it, it is almost as though the parts of the Atlantic ocean has been picked up and dumped on us!! These westerly winds are the only 'down' about living here... When they blow - boy do they blow. The stand of bamboo in the garden is almost horizontal! It has been like this on and off for the past few days. The river level has come up by about 1.5 metres... The picture shows the river from our kitchen door (neighbours geese) this was taken at the beginning of the week just before it started to rise, if the rain continues then it will be in full flood within a couple of days. It is not just the rain falling into it but the run-off from the fields around. I don't know whether it is gale force winds or not but it certainly feels like. BUT.... we are indoors watching the weather with a wood burning stove warming the house..... soooo cosy, mmmm.

J took our friend to the railway station this afternoon. She is wending her way home via too many countries. I do so hope that her journey is not too traumatic, I most certainly would not like to be travelling in this weather, 'safe journey hun'.

We had some friends round last night for a curry meal. I have been so looking forward to this for ages. We have missed having evenings with other 'grown-ups' (no children involved!) over the past couple of years, so for me it was an absolute treat to be chef in my own kitchen, preparing food for friends.

I had already made a mutton curry and just needed to remember to take that out of the freezer. I also prepared a 'Chicken Tikka Masala', 'Chhole', 'Sag Aloo' and some plain 'Uble Chaval' - I must admit I did cheat on the Chicken and the Chhole dishes. I have found a guy out here in France who does the most amazing curry pastes in packets. http://www.packetcurry.com/ The results are the most authentic curries that I have tasted apart from indian restaurants in the UK. There are no artificial colours, flavours and no msg. We do not have curries very often but when we feel 'curry time' is coming round again, we order and the packs arrive within a couple of days... brilliant!

The Chicken dish and Sag Aloo I prepared on Thursday in advance. Chick peas went in to soak Thurs evening and I cooked them Fri morning. Mutton taken out of freezer and the basmati rice was the last to be cooked. Guests arrived just after 8pm. introductions made as the two couples I had invited had not met before and, remember, we had our house guest as well. Apero's served and good conversation started and continued through the meal until after 1 am. Yes, we all had wine with the meal but not copious amounts.... For me, it was a superb evening, I had been so out of practice!! Must do it again in the not too distant future....

2 comments: