Monday 21 December 2009

The shortest day


Today is considered the shortest day of the year in our calendar, sunrise 08.39 - sunset 17.01 French time of course! It is also designated 1st day of Winter (in France). This all means that it is now officially Winter until the 20th March when Spring begins... OK, the snow started at the end of last week, and it was pretty cold in the weeks before. My thoughts are that Winter started earlier than today.

The France Meteo website gives 'remarkable' facts and figures for your local area - our department town had a maximum temperature of 19.2 degrees celsius on 16th December 1989 - whew! But, on the 31st December 1996 the temperature dropped to minus 10.5 degrees celsius - Brrrrr! And, on the 19th December 1982 rainfall was recorded as 51.5mm (2.027 inches).

So, enough of the weather watching... I do not like the winter, I do not like the cold and the damp. I like my weather dry and warm. Must be to do with my age. I know I was born a winter baby but that does not mean that I should enjoy it!

Preparations for the holiday season are underway. I have done the cards - bought gifts via the internet for my Daughters, Grandchildren and Mum. I hate to say it but it is getting rather expensive for us. Have only send cards to family members, most other people I know are online so they will be getting their greetings via email. In the UK it is possible to buy boxes of lovely Christmas cards but out here they 'do' the New Year and only sell Christmas cards as individual ones at a price. Gets very costly - if I want to send cards to everyone then that means a trip to the UK so it becomes even more costly, and heavens knows how much the postage would be. I wouldn't want someone to choose for me - I know what I would like to send. Oh, I do sound like a scrooge!

Have been walking Jensen the dog in the snow, slush, rain and wind (note! no sunshine). And good news on the husband front, he is feeling so well now that he walks Jensen to the top of the lane and back without having any ill effects. It wasn't that long ago that hated walking any distance - now that he is no longer smoking he is doing so much better!!

Jensen has settled extremely well. Bisto is also brilliant. Took them both to the vets on Thurs. Bisto was due his 2nd injections and was very well behaved. Our vet is very taken with him and loves his soft coat. She even kissed his nose when she put him back in his cat basket! Jensen was impeccably behaved. He was given a quick check over and declared a lovely dog as well as being declared fit and healthy.

Bisto and Jensen play together, they have their morning play and their evening play. Bisto usually starts by 'play' attacking Jensen, no claws. It escalates to the pair of them haring around the house, Jensen catching Bisto and pinning him down with a paw and then 'chewing' the cats coat. Bisto will retaliate by jumping on Jensens back and biting his ear. It seems as though one of them might get hurt but both have very thick coats so no skin is scratched or bitten. Bisto will sit on his haunches and 'box' Jensen on the nose - they are an amazing pair to watch. Pixie in the meantime is now back in the house and still has hissy fits with both the kitten and the pup. She would rather be in the warm putting up with a couple of juveniles than in a cold barn!

Children are fine, except K and her family. They are all suffering from sickness and diarrhea. They are supposed to be with her older sister over Christmas but it looks as though it may be postponed. Not good for them at all. Seems as though there is a nasty bug doing the rounds. The weather is the UK is bad and again everything has come to a standstill. There is problems with the Channel Tunnel so people coming and going are being held up. Not sure about the ferries and the aeroplanes. I feel for all those affected by weather and traffic problems and am secretly glad that we are staying here for the holiday period.

Ho hum....... days start drawing out now - hoorah!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I always used to be more cheerful when the fated date was past....
    Agree with you so much about cards and postage...I have only posted to family who refuse to go online and one friend who does likewise...e cards all round otherwise. So difficult to find a card that fits the person and,I'm afraid, nothing else will do!

    ReplyDelete