Sunday 27 December 2009

Sunday after Christmas

We went to lunch with some new found friends yesterday.

An English couple that have recently moved here and now run a B&B and Gite.

They are also trained and keen archers.

Ho ho, bows and arrows....

I remember them from my childhood. A long piece of strong twig with a couple of notches at either end and some string from one notch to the other and a handmade arrow which always went up in a very short arc and landed at ones feet!

Wrong! archery is a precise science I have discovered - yes both J and I have had a lesson, gratuit I hasten to add. I thought it was amazing, energetic (yes energetic!), and incredibly relaxing/unwinding! Could I hit a target (a Large Target) no I could not. I used to be pretty good at darts in the pub after a couple of 'Double Diamonds' but then that was years ago. I did not realise that archery was so interesting.... we will (eventually) have further sessions with them and, maybe, I will hit the target first shot!!

They are also the 'parents' of one of Jensen's brother, Django. I first met Django when he was
2/3 months old. He was so very shy and fragile, it was then that I decided that I would like one just like him.... Serendipidy or what!!

So the brothers got together again - what fun! There was a French visitor - she was around 5 yrs old, a Basset cross... Boy did she have a 'deep' bark- very hound(ish) and an 18 month old cocker spaniel Leon. Jensen fell 'in love' with Leon. I have never seen a pup so intent on making himself know to another... It was like a teenager who has just discovered that he is able and is wanting to let everyone know.... Maybe it is because Leon has been castrated and also has no tail to speak of, (which I find abonimable) that Jensen found him so desirable. Whatever, we found it absolutely hilarious. Eventually, the canines sorted themselves out so that we humans could have a good lunch and afternoon.

We arrived home early evening, both satiated with good food and some wine and brilliant conversation and amusement from the animals.

My younger sister phoned around an hour after we had got back. She had not had the best of Christmas's. For some reason I had decided not to phone her on Christmas day - probably a premonition, I don't know what - I was going to phone her yesterday evening and she pipped me to the post....

Her Mother-in-Law died on 21st December.... totally unexpected - not good for them at all. Apparently she had been a little poorly for a couple of days and then - well she died of heart failure. There was no indication at all that there was a problem. My brother in law and nieces are devastated that she has gone.... God Bless Betty - you were a sweet lady - a little eccentric I know but a good soul...xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment