Sunday 15 November 2009

Ages and things.....


Yesterday was my eldest daughters birthday, her 38th birthday........ boy does that make feel old!!

Remembering her as she was at birth, such a sweet dear vulnerable little thing, just 6lb 10oz in weight - don't ask me what that is in kilos as I do not have a clue being brought up 'imperial' not 'metric'.

Her birth was an exhilerating experience, yes there was pain and so much hard work that afterwards when she had arrived all pain and tiredness was forgotten and I just wanted so much to hold this long waited for infant. She was very pink and had light reddish gold hair. Her eyes were screwed up so I did not know their colour. She was plump and smelled delightful... Totally overwhelming!

When she was a couple of hours old and I was back in the ward recovering (boy is it tiring giving birth!!) the midwife came in and said that my dear little girl had a birthmark on her head... Panic set in as you can imagine.. The midwife picked little Vicki up and looked for the mark to show me and eventually it was found. Vicki had so much hair it was well hidden. The birthmark was behind Vickis ear - at least it was not visible, it had to be looked for.

My baby had the bluest of eyes and a very knowing look about her. My husbands aunt Myra took one look at her and said "She's been here before!" I think Myra was right!

And now my no. 1 daughter is almost middle aged and has two delightful children of her own. Her daughter is just like her mother - incredibly so.

Today, in la Belle France, the weather is typical autumn. The trees have shed their leaves and the sky is grey. There is moisture in the air but it is not heavy. Was just going out the door this afternoon for a walk with my friend Doris when the phone rang. It was middle daughter;
"Hi Mum, just a quickie, can you give me some advice?"
"Hi Mel, what's up then?"

"The cat has peed in the boys bedroom and I can't get the smell out, what can I do?"
"Er, what have you tried?"
"Oh, scrubbing it and all sorts but it still smells, you have had cats a long time Mum, what can I do?"
"Try some bicarb, that might work, sprinkle it in the carpet and leave a while then vacuum out" "Look, I am just off out - can I get back to you later - I might email you with a solution."
"Oh, thanks Mum, love you, byeee xx"

So here I am 300 miles away from my children and they still ask me first, not the internet or inlaws... I feel so honoured .

So we took our walk, and very nice it was too.

This morning though J came rushing in with a piece of fungus in his hand. 'Guess what, this is good we can dry it for later use'... Our french neighbour had spotted a big group of Bolet on the outer part of our garden. Perfect for drying. Just strip the 'mousse' from under the cap and dry them. Store in a jar and add to beef stews etc. later on... So we harvested, stripped and are now drying them. What a wonderful world this is.

Yesterday I bottled some quince aperitif, made with red wine, eau de vie, sugar and quince. I have also made a white wine version and am 'macerating' the rose wine version. By the time all this is done there will be 27 bottles of quince aperitif - I have also made a wild plum aperitif as well. Trouble is, we have to wait months before drinking. The longer it is kept the better it is.

Yesterday I opened a cherry aperitif that I made 5 years ago.
I made it with yellow cherries, alcohol and sugar and I had completely forgotten about it - I don't remember the quantities of the ingredients so I don't think I will be able to reproduce it. It was sampled by us ladies - Oh sweet nectar! so drinkable, delicious but not too much at any one time.. Will be delicious over vanilla ice cream. Must try it..

1 comment:

  1. Answer to the question
    'Whatever do you find to do in the country?' In spades!

    ReplyDelete