Tuesday 12 March 2013


Have just arrived back home after a rather stressful week.

I was supposed to be returning to the UK on the 7th March to celebrate my mother’s 92nd birthday, the whole family were going to have a lovely party in her honour in my sister’s new house.

Life was turned upside down on the 22nd February.

I cancelled my flight (he was staying here) and booked a ferry for the two of us instead for the following Tuesday. 

We saw mum and our children, did some shopping, he returned on the Saturday and I stayed on for another week.

I found it all very surreal, a piece of my life had been switched off. My mother is not one for emotions, she is a very private person and keeps her feelings to herself. She will voice her opinions and thoughts though. We talked, she wept a little, I wept a little, she was unhappy that her daughters partner of 14 yrs was left with nothing. They had not married. Maybe they planned to in the future, but the future didn’t happen. Mum is very fond of him and, I think, would have loved him for a son-in-law.

And so my life has changed.

I am now the eldest child in the family. My brother is not too enamoured of that idea, yes, I was his older sister but now the eldest sister.

The airline company, who normally get bad press for their practices have agreed to refund my flight costs. 

Good.

When I got home I found that no cleaning had been done in the house. When we left it was clean. I am stating my case and whether he likes it or not is tough. He obviously needs to employ a housekeeper, cook and cleaner.

And, to my horror, not only am I turning into my mother but I am turning into my mother in law! I bought a lovely pair of shoes for the summer and what does he say “My mum had a pair of shoes just like that.”

Eeek!     

I mentioned that the lounge decoration should have been finished so that we could get on with the next thing that needed doing. 

Response was, “Yes and the gardening & etc.” I wondered what he was on about. 

“Do you mean that you think you needed to finish the painting? If I had been here then it would have been done, as it is I was in the UK, because of my sister’s death, it had always been my intention for me to finish it.” Was my response, along with a few swear words. 

“Oh.” He said.

Anyway, painting is now done. Just need to put paper on the wall.

Papering over the cracks?

3 comments:

  1. Men!

    It must be hard to realise that your position in the family has changed forever. I'm the second of 5 sisters, all still alive and I know it will be very difficult when the first of us goes.

    My heart goes out to your mother who could never have expected to outlive her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an only...so will never face you and your mum's situation. She is a great lady and you must be so proud and protective of her.

    As Perpetua says...men!

    When I returned from staying Europe last year I wondered what on earth I had walked in to.
    All the animal feed sacks were stacked up in the living room...the washing machine filters looked like old Tangiers in time of plague...and the floors were returning to dirt.

    It has to be genetic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just stumbled on your blog and would like to say how sorry I am that you have lost your sister but keep the blogs coming, sorry I can't seem to find your name or where you live, we are in France and have a blog about our life here, http://france-ourlifeinfrance.blogspot.fr/ I would love you to join my site too if you would, many thanks Roz & John x

    ReplyDelete