Saturday 30 March 2013

An idea published


I have recently become acquainted with a new author. She has just published her first novel and at the moment I am reading my copy.

The novel is an ‘alternate history’ thriller, and I am finding it exciting and intriguing.

The author, Alison Morton  has had an undying interest in all things relating to ancient Rome.  

Her interest was ‘sparked’ on a visit to an ancient site in Spain when she was a young girl and once it got a grip it would not let go. 

She pondered the question, ‘Supposing Women were the rulers in Rome, how would the world be now?’ 

That was her vision and that idea is the basis of the book.

The basic synopsis is of a young woman in modern America, but not the USA as we know it. Centuries back the Roman Empire did not just ‘dissolve’ away but part of it split away and became a ‘matriarchal’ European country. 

The heroine of this novel is totally unaware that she is descended from one of the most important families in Roma Nova as this fictional country is known. Her life is suddenly shaken up and is in danger from political enemies.

I won’t say any more, just that this fast paced book ‘Inceptio’ is getting good reviews and is selling well.

The second book is at the final proofing stage book, number three is ready as well and she is working on number four. Am looking forward to seeing them in print as well

Alison has my admiration for sticking to her guns and working very hard over the past 4 years getting it all together.

It is nice to meet a person with a sense of history and who, like me, absolutely hates bad spelling and grammar as well as the misuse and bad spelling of Latin and French phrases.   

I had a friend contact me, she will be visiting me with some other friends, and she said ‘I will be picking up X & Y on root’. 

Eek……  

I find it unbelievable that someone who has lived here for 10 years cannot spell a basic French phrase.

Or am I just 'picky' ?

2 comments:

  1. Not picky at all, Trisha. It would horrify me too, though it wouldn't surprise me. I love discovering new authors, so will head off and see whether our library has her book in stock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a fair few in your area who cannot spell a basic English phrase either...and they're not French!

    ReplyDelete