Friday 21 January 2011

Genealogy

I mentioned in my last post that I am on the trail of my mothers ancestry.

Now this is proving difficult.

I have been in contact with Barnardo's and also a genealogist in Ireland. I have been given the necessary contact name. I have written to the contact name, twice, and have been waiting for a reply... Oh this is so difficult. It seems that the people who have the information that I need are reluctant to give me the necessary.

My dear sweet Mother gave me an address that was given to her some time ago. It was an address in the county that we lived all our lives. In fact we probably passed the address when we went to the coast for our annual bank holiday trips.

I researched on-line and found the name of the family that lived at the address. Mr Xxxxxxxx was married to Miss Xxxxx - the same maiden name as my mothers....

I researched a bit more and found out that they had 5 children, three sons and two daughters. All of the sons have since passed away and also one of the daughters (aged around 16 yrs) but one sister was still living, unmarried and around my mothers age, some 10 years ago..

I have written to the address (to whom it may concern) asking if they know of any family members of the original family at that address in relation to my mother... I am waiting for a reply.

Bless my Mum, she did say, 'Why didn't I give this address to you years ago?' It seems that my Dad didn't think it would be a good idea to follow up the address when it was first given to Mum.

Had she been able to go to this address 30 years ago, it would have answered a lot of questions that she had.. She is now nearly 90 years old and would still like to know why she was given up to the Nuns..

I am hopeful...

Apart from all of that, things are fine... Need to find a new motor car... ours is dead and only fit to be buried.

Another year another vehicular problem!! (third year methinks!)

Politics.....

Well what a mess! Johnson's wife having an affair...hmmm.

Andy Coulson resigning... hmmm.

Tony Blair and his excuses.... hmmm.

'nuff said - it is the UK after all!!!

1 comment:

  1. How typical of men at the time that your father did not want to stir up anything in your mother's past..obviously thinking for the best, thinking to protect her, but how stifling.

    Good luck in your search...there's time yet.

    ReplyDelete