Friday 18 June 2010

World Cup Football


At the moment the Football World Cup in being played in South Africa. Very good for the South Africans, not good for some of the teams.

Being English, I should be an England Team supporter, and living in France I should also support the French Team. Well I have watched/listened to the commentary on both of England's matches and also on the one the French have played.

From what I have seen my young grandchildren and their primary school mates could have played better than these overpaid professional footballers.

I can't see the English team improving at all. They failed dismally in their game against America, an up and coming team by all accounts, and tonight's match against Algeria - well, what can one say? Capello should have taken some of the 'better' players off and given some others a chance to play for England instead of leaving them sitting on the benches. England were useless! France lost their game against a lesser team much to their disappointment, and mine. I hasten to add that I am not a football fan so there will not be too much from me over the next couple of weeks. Give me a good game of rugby any day.

Of course I have the Wimbledon fortnight to look forward to - a chance to sit and listen to the gentle sounds of the ball going from racquet to racquet and the murmuring from the crowd in centre court, very soporific.

Have had another visit to Puy du Fou today, warm and overcast with just a small threat of rain. Just took in one show, brilliant. Will be going again next week, weather permitting, to take in another couple of shows. It is so nice living so close and it is such a beautiful place. From our first visit 9 years ago they have made so many changes. I believe that it has been in operation for around 32 years now and it goes from strength to strength - I believe they have had in excess of 10 million visitors and bearing in mind that they are only open for 6 months of the year it isn't bad at all.

2 comments:

  1. The French were a bunch of donkeys and we are a bunch of donkeys!

    Actually, I imagine that most donkeys could play better than us!

    And don't get me started about that "Rooney!"

    Right, rant over! I think one of the reasons I moved to France was to get away from the footie! I think the Geneva Convention should ban international football just like they've banned fragmentation mines and torture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least Puy du Fou is a football-free zone..if they'd thought, they could have made a bomb marketing it like that ...but only to foreigners,not French!
    Even the least 'sportif' of French friends are sunk in gloom and want to lynch the trainer.

    ReplyDelete