Tuesday 29 June 2010

Puy du Fou

Oh the Hill of Fools... went there this afternoon hoping to catch the 'Gladiator' experience and what happened? they changed the times. c'est pas grave, we went to see the Mousquetaire de Richelieu instead. At least it was under cover and not in the sunshine, what a wonderful experience. Totally different to what we expected but, nevertheless, very accomplished. d'Artagnan and his cohorts along with Cyrano de Bergerac and the Duc de Richelieu strutting their stuff.. Costumes, lighting and special effects were fantastic!

We also watched 'les grandes eau' a brilliant musical/fountain experience. Loved it but my camera did not!!!! It would not take a single picture... Probably too much sunshine. Grrr, will have to see it again and see if I can take a good picture. I am so glad that we took the option of a season ticket this year, just drive up there for a couple of hours of 'chill out' it works and is doing himself so much good, he comes home really relaxed, best therapy in the world at the moment!!

Have been in contact with someone today who I have not seen for absolutely ages. It is quite strange, her husband, I think, used to be an immobillier, whether he is or not I don't know. She needed some equipment that I happened to have but it was not for her but for a friend. These friends have a mill on a river a few kilometres north of us and, about 5 yrs ago, I accommodated in my B&B a couple who were looking to buy out here, that stayed with them for around a fortnight, but they stayed with us for longer. The couple that own the mill had, I believe, a little contretemps with some neighbours (apparently a lawyer?) down river regarding ownership of 'part' said river. I am looking forward to meeting them (mill owners) when the equipment is returned. Curiosity is my thing, I am intrigued!!!!!

Am I so awful observing the ex-patriot community on the sidelines... I hear so many things and am embarrassed at being English and seeing what the English are up to. I hate being in the supermarket during the summer months and hearing those that have their holiday homes out here, or even those staying in an English owned gite, who are 'slagging' off the French... Why the **** are they here if they don't like it?? It really annoys me.

At least I see that more people are selling up and going back. There is a nice modern house just outside the village that is now up for sale. The price that is being asked is just astronomical. I know the house and the original French owners. It was around 85,000 euro 5 yrs ago. A lovely house with land and a lake. It was bought by an English guy at probably less than asking price. He lived there three years and after a few improvements sold it via ebay and shot off to who knows where (the tax-man and gendarmerie would love to know). This house is now on the market, via its English owners, for 3 times as much.... Is it worth it? NO!!

Oh dear, I am on a run aren't I. But then, that is what is happening out here.

I have some lovely English friends out here that love the country and are here for the duration. They embrace the whole French 'thing'. They are learning the language and prefer to go to French gatherings and ignore the ex-pat thing.

Maybe 'the hill of fools' is where a lot of the ex-pat community should be sent!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, send them there and give the rest of us some peace!

    Can't wait to see what comes of your meeting with the mill owners....river foaming with much blood...?

    ReplyDelete