Wednesday 23 June 2010

Summer solstice and all that


I did not celebrate the summer solstice but no doubt my middle daughter did, she who professes to be a 'wiccan', did no doubt light some candles and perform a ceremony of sorts - me, I don't know what she does, but she does it! And I did not ask her! Amazingly enough, my dear man has over the last 40+ years that I have know him has done the countdown to the 'longest day' in the solar calendar, or the summer solstice, (21st June) but, this year, has not done so... I wonder why? The girls and I always used to try to pip him to the post, starting at the beginning of June and doing a countdown for him, and, as you can imagine, a lot of laughter ensued. This year though, totally different. Hmmm. He seems to have lost the plot.

We now have some reasonably good weather. Veg are growing along with the weeds, or is it weeds along with veg? Potatoes are good this year, loads in every root! Peas and beans are coming along as well as the sweetcorn and aubergines. We have chillis, tomatoes and cucumber in the poly-tunnel which will suit us just fine. We wont be growing tomatoes for bottling this year and I have given up on the soft fruit. I just cannot be bothered any more. I have done it for too many years and just want a break. When I work it out it is not really cost effective any more. It is nice to freeze. bottle and make preserves and chutneys etc. but if you are not using what you preserve then what is the point? There is too much for us to do!

There seems to be a glut of cherries this year and our dear French neighbour has offered to us the fruit from his trees. Wonderful. I have used a kilo of cherries and am in the process of steeping them in sweet white wine and eau de vie. I do so hope that the resulting liquor will be a delight! So far it smells absolutely wonderful! It also looks like I will have another good crop of quince this year - more 'coing' aperitif - last years is yummy! There will also be wild plums and sloes as well - now that is preserving!!

We are not taking Wwoofers this year simply because it works out as un-cost efficient (for us that is). I did enjoy having them here with us over the last couple of years but when push comes to shove we still have to pay for their food and the cleaning up of their rooms, or whatever accommodation, afterwards. There is also the extra laundry and water costs!! So this year, fewer veg, more weeds, less preserving at the end of the season. After all, we are only needing to grow for two not for a family and B&B guests, or pigs or sheep!

I am glad that my man has 'seen the light' and is now slowing down and just doing what is necessary. We do have a man we can call on to do some 'heavy' work for us and we get on with him quite well. There is just too much for my man to do and I am not that physically fit either (damned arthritis!).

Have been watching the World Cup football, not that I really like it but he does. It is good to see that England have eventually got somewhere. I was beginning to doubt their talent. From what I have seen and read they seem to be more interested in money than the game! Of course I might be wrong (but I think not!). France just lost the plot completely - unbelievable - as one of our French friends has said 'disastre!!'

Whoever wins the World Cup will rightfully deserve it I am sure. In another couple of years it will be the Olympics in London - Oh my! Will England be able to cope with it when you see the level of debt that the current government has inherited??

Three of my grandchildren are 'judo-ists' and recently they took part in a local competition. The two newest (aged 10 and 6) at the 'game' won silver (10 yrs) and gold (6 yrs) and the one that had been playing longer won bronze against players some 3 years older and playing at county level (she did say "but I am only 8" when the others were 11yrs old). Maybe these youngsters (of my children) will be representing England in 2016 or 2020. It would be wonderful!!

1 comment:

  1. Three judokas representing England would be something!
    Tell them to go for it!

    No jumping over the fires this year, then?

    ReplyDelete