Thursday 1 April 2010

Poisson d'Avril

All Fools Day, but no fooling in this house today.

I woke this morning feeling good, sun was shining, saw first Swallow of the year yesterday and first Cuckoo of the year today. Daffs are glorious, got loads of little wild white violets poking their heads through the grass and some fantastic deep purple ones that came out from the UK...

The Japonicas (chaenomeles) that I grew from seeds from my parents aged plant are now putting out their first flower buds - only taken them 5 years but then they were confined to small pots for 3 of them. Hopefully they will excel themselves. My little almond tree is covered in blossom. Last year I allowed it just one nut, this year I will thin them out again. Better for the tree whilst it is young apparently. There are loads of bud on the pear trees and it looks as though their will be plenty of peaches and plums. Not too sure about the apples just yet, some buds are showing. Should get some good quince again (more lovely aperitif this year I hope!)

I have 'done' the archway. I undercoated the plaster, two coats as it dried so very quickly, and then one coat of 'crepi' which is a lightly textured paint. It looks very good indeed, now I just need to do the walls and the window reveals! Ho hum, once I start I must finish...

I also made a cake this morning, a Farmhouse Fruit Cake, very nice and an easy recipe. Trouble is I am having a problem with my oven, and it looked a bit overcooked when it came out. The doors do not shut properly (I have two ovens - one fan and one conventional) so the heat goes a bit haywire. I have ordered new hinges and am just waiting on them. Hopefully future cakes will be good..

Have dug leeks and am going to have them this evening with fish and mashed potatoes. Yummy.

2 comments:

  1. Time for some of that aperatif. A very successful day of jobs done. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rosie, would you like the recipe? it is so very nice..... can't wait to make more this year.

    ReplyDelete