Saturday 17 April 2010

Hot Air

We have got the car back, it still needs some work but at least it is now driveable. So some of the waiting is over.

I am pleased that we are unaffected by the volcano in Iceland, it is mother nature at her best, or worst, just showing what she is capable of. I heard an Icelandic guy on the TV saying that the last time this particular volcano blew its top it continued to spew out for around 2 years. What will the airlines do if it continues thus. At the moment it is only seriously affecting countries in northern Europe because of the wind direction I suppose that once those winds change then the air should become safe again. I would not like to be in the shoes of the meteorological guys at the moment - their predictions for future weather changes (are there any?) might be wrong. The skies here though are very quiet.......

On Thursday night there was a first time political debate on the TV. I sat and watched it. I thought that it should be my duty, not that I vote any more, so that I could get an opinion on who should be the best man to 'run' the country.

This is how I saw it:-

Hmmm, it was quite interesting to see how they responded to the 'set' questions. There was no surprise for these three men, nothing out of the ordinary, and they had their stock answers ready. It was so completely staged. None of them were stumped for an answer and all had just 2 minutess or less to answer 'the question' when it was posed. Mr Brown had been primed 'obviously' to make little jibes at Mr Cameron. There was that awful, telling, leery smile on his face - like a child 'gotcha!' when he has got one up on his classmate. I think he was secretly counting 'strikes' for every little jibe. Mr Cameron though put up and ignored it and did his best to answer - to me he looked nervous and tense. Young Mr Clegg, who Mr Brown agreed with a lot, "I agree with Nick" , seemed very assured and confident and gave clear answers but towards the end 'tripped' a little over his words. There were a lot of 'statistics' and 'facts' quoted by all three of them which were not exactly true - whether it was off the cuff or memory problems I don't know. Mr Brown was very inaccurate with his figures. According to the polls Mr Clegg came out on top and Mr Brown at the bottom. It was interesting and I think I will watch the next one as this first one was, I think, a trial run...

Weather is absolutely stunning, cannot fault it. It is a little chilly in the morning and evening but the days are glorious. Have just heard the tree frog, so soon - does it bode a good summer? Gardening is underway and we are taking on a guy to help Jeff with the 'heavy' stuff, just a couple of hours a week. His breathing gets laboured if he does too much so now is just doing 'petit par petit' keeping it all under control.

2 comments:

  1. Hello there Trish and how nice to get to know you. You were better than me with the hour's difference re the television debate. I thought about staying up and lost the will after about two minutes into the programme. I'll try and do better this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting comments on the leaders' debate - nice and down to earth. Just found your blog, like the feel of it! Take care

    ReplyDelete