Tuesday 6 April 2010

Easter come and gone

Strange weekend I must admit. Saturday came and went, weather again was appalling. Did not do too much in the house, just cleaning and laundry and cooking.... what a boring life. Jeff has been having a few minor health probs... mainly coughing and breathlessness which is worrying. He is doing a little too much I think.

He has started on the step to the bathroom. This 'step' was covered in beige carpet, in fact the bathroom (this is our bathroom) had beige carpet. I hated it - with a vengeance. Before we bought this house it was owned by a French family as a holiday home so the bathroom was used, maybe, only 8 weeks out of 52 (Easter/Summer/Christmas).

So, this carpet didn't get any wear to speak of - until we arrived. The carpet in the bathroom was ripped up and thrown out and a nice vinyl flooring put down instead. But, the step was still covered- for 7 years!! Well 6 weeks ago it was ripped out and there was rough boards and glue left behind.. This needed changing and me, being the person I am, wanted it done asap. Jeff has now started to create a new step for me... he has cut the boards to put down and has come to a stand still. He is not sure how to proceed. I dare not make any suggestions as I am a female and do not know about such things so I stay 'shtum'.

The weather improved for the better and yesterday, Easter Monday, we had some friends come to us for lunch. I cooked shoulder of mutton and it was delicious. We ate well and drank much and the conversation flowed like a gentle stream. We enjoyed ourselves and hoped that our friends did as well.

Today the sun has been our friend and I achieved a lot in the garden. There were some plants that suffered severely during the winter and had to be taken out. I have cleared pots and space for some lively geraniums, I love the 'electric' pink and red, am not too fond of orange colours. I just cannot wait for them to come into full bloom and fill the garden with colour.

The clematis, except for the one, are making strides with their growth. Jackmanii is my favourite with its beautiful large blooms. Each year it is stronger and stronger. I have a Ville de Lyon which has been a bit tardy but looks as though it will be better this year. My purple Wisteria is a mass of bud and will be superb in a few weeks, again that has taken time to settle and learn to live in its own little plot. Can't wait for the flowers and their sweet perfume...

No comments:

Post a Comment