Thursday 18 March 2010

technology


I have acquired an ipod touch.... a wonderful gadget on which I can store all my beloved music and also check emails etc.... It would have been wonderful all those years ago when I was learning the art of communication at school whilst during a course on shorthand and typing so that I could become the most efficient secretary ever... I do love this modern technology it suits my demeanour!! Just imagine, learning to touch a screen (minute to boot!) and create words to send to the rest of the world, instead I learnt how to touch type on a 'sit up and beg' Imperial manual typewriter. I developed muscles on my fingers and discovered how far my little fingers could stretch so that I could type a letter!! There was no 'spell check' and carbon copies were 'carbon copies' Tippex was forbidden and, if an error was made, we had to use an eraser (carefully I might add)to make your correction. I learnt to type, in rhythm with the rest of the class, to the 'William Tell Overture' Dum de dum, dum de dum, dum de dum dum dum, etc.... I cannot now listen to this lovely music without my fingers going into overdrive and wanting to type out 'now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party' or 'the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog'

And so I am getting to grips with my ipod touch. My son-in-law set it up for me last month and in doing so he downloaded from this computer some photographs. Amongst these photos are a lot of another son-in-law and his fishing photos. I do not want lots of photos of fish it is not me at all. So I have tried to get these photos off my ipod and I cannot for the life of me find out how to remove them. I have looked through the manual and I cannot find out how... So I have contacted s-i-l no.1 and he is looking into it for me. If he cannot find out how then I will be contacting Apple to see how to do it. Watch this space!!

Today a gentleman from a local electrical supplier came out and fitted a new satellite dish. Ours went awol on the night of the 28th Feb and was found in various pieces in our little hamlet. I have not missed the television, there are plenty of other things to occupy my mind. So we are now connected to the UK again and all the purile programmes that are pumped out. Mind you, he also fixed the faulty cable from the tv antenna so, if necessary, we can always watch some decent french tv.. vive la france!!

Weather has been very good, daffs etc. are out and I have even seen a Brimstone butterfly in this last week. Wonderful, I think that the winter is now over and done with. My husband is so much better. He has been clearing felled (by the tempest) trees.

We have acquired an 'electric' collar for training Jensen. He is still continuing to chase and catch poultry and cats as well as chasing moving vehicles. We need to stop him and this is a last resort. So far he is responding (just one shock) and we hope that we will only have to use it another couple of times (fingers crossed).

4 comments:

  1. I have visions of you drumming the William Tell Overture on the touch screen....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are certainly braver than me.
    Dropped by after reading about your blog by Fly on the Web. I'm glad to hear that your DH is better.
    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fly, I am just drumming out many little mistakes on the tiny screen - I make some wonderful errors - but I still think it is amazing. And thank you for the award, I do not feel that I deserve it.

    Dedene, I am not brave, just a woman who is getting on with her life and looking after her man. I wish you a Happy Spring too, everything is blooming and life is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete