Wednesday 20 February 2013

I know yesterday's post was dire but I needed to express my feelings in the simplest of ways to people who do not know me...

I don't want sycophantic crap from the group (LIFT) I belong to, the thought of their platitudes and advice would nauseate me as I am not an unintelligent woman who needs someone to tell me 'this and that'.

My lovely sister is my first friend, playmate and confidante. She had her own name for me as she could not pronounce my name properly being only 16 months old when I was born. Her children only know me by the name she called me.  We would share a bedroom, clothes, makeup, fall out, make up, share experiences and, would you believe, a boyfriend (who eventually became my husband).

I remember we went out one evening, many years ago, and met a couple of lovely lads. We told them we were twins. My sister had auburn hair, the deepest brown eyes, fair skin and freckles. I had almost black hair, green eyes and olive skin. We were 18 yrs and 16 yrs old. The lads bought it! We said not all twins were identical. Got a few drinks and a wonderful evening out of them! Wicked? No, we were young and enjoying life.

I love this lady who continually smoked from the age of 16... and that is her downfall. If only, I wish...

My God I will miss her so much.    

5 comments:

  1. I hate the 20/20 vision of hindsight, Trisha. My father died from lung cancer caused by smoking, and I too often think "if only". I'm glad you have so many happy memories of your dear sister, but wish that you could have a future to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Perpetua... she is a lovely lady..

    ReplyDelete
  3. You give such a vivid picture of your sister....she seemed indomitable. You must still be in shock.

    But, you know...I wonder. My father smoked all his life and died at 93 with lungs not at all affected...but I have always had chronic bronchitis....growing up in a house full of smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The memories must be pouring through your head.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life throws 'shit' at you when you least expect it. I am OK now but still, obviously, have my moments when I just want to dissolve into tears. We did not see each other or talk that often but when we did it was as though we had not been apart.. Jesus I will miss her.

    ReplyDelete