Tuesday 20 September 2011

Re-invention

Recently had my hair done by a very nice English hairdresser, have known her for quite a few years now. She knows my very fine straight hair and the shape of my head so she does a good job of it. God bless her, she is rare!

Our conversation centered around the number of British people that have arrived out here that are offering various services.

Now we are talking various Alternative Therapies and Exercise, ie yoga, tai chi, Zumba classes (the latest craze), stepping etc.

How do we know that these people are fully qualified to instruct others? It is so easy to download a certificate/diploma claiming all sorts of qualifications.

When you go to various classes operated by a French instructor, you have to have a medical certificate and the instructor has to have recognised French qualifications and insurance.

It seems that some of these people (British) do not!

Now this frightens me, not that I am interested in yoga or Zumba, Reiki healing or hot stones down my back etc. But I do worry for those who fork out quite a few euros for something that could do them damage.

We have got used to the dodgy plumbers, builders, electricians, car mechanics, etc. but this is a new ball game.

Now their ladies are re-inventing themselves.

My dear English hairdresser agreed, she is concerned too, not for herself as she knows she has a good established client base but for those that are newbies out here and get sucked into this 'I am British therefore I am good for you' lark.

We also shared our thoughts about the menopause, there seems to be a lot of that going around in our area at the moment!!

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the comment on the French aristocrats fleeing to London to escape the revolution and living in straightened circumstances...
    '
    Living by taking in each other's washing...'

    Remind one of the expat community in France?

    ReplyDelete