Monday 7 February 2011

Blues part 2

Further to January Blues

Interesting day today…

My dear, tame, English hairdresser called to attend to my ‘barnet’ and a damned good job she did too. Bless her, she knows my hair, how it curls on the right and how it curls on the left in spite of it being dead straight, how fine it is and what suits the shape of my head. I did discuss with my man, this morning, the possibility of colour but though – oh no not a good idea! I have a good sprinkling of silver now and in some lights it looks bloody lovely, natural highlights. The thought of losing that to an artificial ‘chestnut’ (best on a nut), ‘burgandy’ (best in a glass) or whatever, I decided against. At the rate my hair grows I would need to ‘touch up’ the roots every 2 weeks which is way out of my remit.

So my hair is now manageable again and with a sprinkling of silver. It was getting a bit wayward as it had not been cut since mid-November last year. I feel so much better, a little glamorous, just need a bit of ‘slap’, to complete the picture.

Not too bad for 64 years old me-thinks…

I was also complimented on how good my ‘body’ looks…… Well!! What does one say??

After my coiffeuse parted, we had a man we had been expecting since, hmmmm who know when – see January Blues, ‘favours’.

He arrived unexpectedly with an explanation as to why he had not been able to come to us to do the work that he had promised early last year and why we were ‘out of the loop’.

He explained how he had been ‘ripped off’ by an English couple out here, as well as the problems he has had with his in-laws and in-laws partners after a death in the family. Oh my God, aren’t some peoples lives complicated??

I am so glad that I have had only one husband and that he has had only one wife (me) and that our parents stuck with each other through ‘sickness and health, richer and poorer, forsaking all others until death do us part, etc’….

Some people out here have such complex relationships in their lives I find it quite unbelievable! I would love to do a ‘straw’ poll with all the people I know in France and see how many of them have families such as ours…. It would be so interesting.

Anyway, we will be getting the work we want doing within the next 2 months – although watch this space….

Am still gathering information on the ex-pat populaton………….there might be a novel in it yet!!

4 comments:

  1. Coincidentally, my hairdresser came today as well -- did my roots and a few highlights, too. I'm 65 and this has been going on for years. The haircut is great because it looks good growing out for at least 6 weeks and at a stretch 8. Last summer when I was in France it was over 12 and I was a mess waiting to get back to England. This is my one great extravagance and my husband is smart enough to know not to ask how much it costs -- and I would never tell...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am salivating at the thought of the results of your researches....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been married to each other for 36 years, my parents were married for 65 years and my in laws 50 years. We did go to one dinner party in England where the 3 couples present had each been married only to each other for over 30 years but it is so rare.Mostly conversations about his and her children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Broad, I bet you feel much better too, spring is in the air and in your step I bet!

    Fly, will whet you appetite next....

    Rosie, I find it very confusing when I hear of 'his' 'hers' being 'partners' 'soulmates' etc. A long marriage is so comfortable and comforting, they don't know what they are missing!

    ReplyDelete