Tuesday 25 December 2012

'tis Christmas Day and not a thing is stirring except my fingers on the keyboard, well at least in this house!

Have not done a lot, had a basic breakfast and sorted left overs for lunch.

Decided this year to dispense with the cooking of culinary treats and ordered our dinner from the local supermarket caterers, first time for us!

We had flambe'd crayfish tails followed by Ostrich with a Sauternes and Mirabelle sauce, taters and mushroom dariole and confit of chestnuts. Washed down with a locally sourced champagne (not Cristal!) and it cost less than 35 euro for the two of us.... No room for Christmas pud afterwards! Will keep that for later.

It would have cost a lot more for me to source the ingredients and cook and an awful lot more to eat the same in a restaurant...

All in all it was delicious....

I have seen what others have prepared for this holiest of days. It seems to be that people out here, at least, want to outdo others. Personally I just cannot stand pretentious people. Why do they give this air of being richer and better when they are on their uppers (in my opinion). One day they will get their just desserts, flambe'd or not.

My lovelies in the UK are fine, at least that is what they tell me. No 1 is OK, her children are OK, all is good.

No. 2 has her 'not quite ex-husband as he has not signed the final papers' back in her life. I am concerned about this. He was kicked out as he was not pulling his weight and spending money on his 'drug' needs. Daughter has sorted out all debts and got her and her children's life on track and suddenly he is back. Yes I am concerned.

No. 3  has split with the father of her children. All I can say is 'thank heavens they never married.' There have been a lot of issues and he is now with his father. His family is totally dysfunctional as far as I am concerned. Dad married young, did drugs, wife left him with two children, died of overdose. Daughter is unable to establish a long term relationship with any man of her own age, goes for men of her fathers age. Son is into cannabis, cannot do without. Brother of father lives with girlfriend and has done for many years - no children. girlfriend will not marry because of family history... Dad is locally respected councillor(?) So why did my daughter get mixed up with them??

In spite of all my grandchildren seem very well adjusted....

I am looking forward to the new year. 2013 will be a turning point for me I am sure. I will not be downtrodden any more, say what I think to the person closest and tough sh*t if he is not happy about it. I have a get away 'clause' in my life now and will take advantage of it as and when.





2 comments:

  1. Yes, there are quite a few in the 'red hat and no drawers' brigade in your area, aren't there!
    Still, they didn't spoil your Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently read, "used to be a 'xxxxxx xxxxxxxx' in the UK am now reduced to making xxxx xxxxxxxxxxx & xxxxxxxx!" It was the 'reduced to' that made me smile and think of my grandma who was 'reduced to' doing laundry when her husband died in WW1..

    ReplyDelete