Monday 16 January 2012

I have a new computer, a new laptop.

I have discovered it has speech recognition.

What initially came to mind was that secretaries would become redundant or just be asked to make tea or coffee for the boss.

It is absolutely hilarious and I cannot, so far, get a recognisable sentence out of it.

It seems that you have to train your computer to understand all the nuances of your speech. I must admit that himself said that when I am talking to the computer I am talking clearer. I am fine when I am going through the training of the thing but when it comes to asking it to type for me, well, that is a totally different matter.

The following is an example of me reading what is written above:-

It tight her guy had any computer then you laptop
The there are good and that the got a had discovered in her speech recognition
Would like her what initially came to mind was that secretary’s would become redundant or just he asked them at are on the or cr
It is absolutely hilarious and I cannot so far get a breath ignited will stand and at a
Into names that you have to train your computer to understand Orlando wants is of your speech crossed of the Identifying when I’m going to retraining of the game but when it comes to a asking it to for me well that is a totally different.


I think it has a lot of things to learn…. At least it is stopping me from getting bored and making me laugh!

I am also working on windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2010 starter edition. I have lots of new things to learn. But, it is a nice machine, fast and easy to use with a proper numeric keypad as well. I am happy with it.

Our grandson TJ is getting better, slowly but surely, he is being treated for thrush in his gut, no doubt too many antibiotics over the last few weeks had a play in that infection. At least he is on the mend. His mum has also been to see her own GP to put him fully in the picture and she is now being helped. TJ’s problems have had quite a knock on effect on the family as a whole and, in truth, the family’s GP should be put fully in the picture. She is now feeling a lot more positive which will have a good effect on TJ as well as the other two.

For some months now I have been planning a trip to see a very good friend in Central America. Now that my elbow is very much on the mend and I have a little money in the bank I am in the position to arrange and book the trip.

I found the ideal flight, date and time. Yippee! Discussed it with himself and he is happy with the arrangements.

Booking has been done through a French travel website. I found it a lot easier that going through the likes of Skyscanner, Trip advisor, e dreams etc.. And, as a bonus, the flight is from an airport just 1½ hours drive from us, and it is via Spain avoiding America so only one stop.

I booked on the Thursday, happy me.

BUT!! On the Friday, late afternoon, they contacted me and said that the payment had been stopped by the bank… quelle horreur! I immediately (as one does) phoned the bank and told them to authorise the payment, sending copies of the email that I had received. It was no go. I demanded that they send a direct transfer which they did. This payment was not received until the Monday after lunch…

As you can imagine I was on tenterhooks over the weekend wondering whether the money had gone into the ether and that I would never see it again.

Being a total novice at this great travelling lark I also learned that if I do that trip again I will go direct to the airline, a lot cheaper!

So all is well.

Next month I am off on an adventure, and taking himself with me.

I can’t wait.

4 comments:

  1. Speech recognition freaks me out...I tried dictating to it and the results were...well, let's just say we are on parallel lines...

    Glad TJ is improving so that you can take your trip with an easier mind...

    And Central America awaits you!

    The kerfuffle with payment happened to me...and out of interest I took my blood pressure when I came off the blower...198 the top reading!
    And getting a deal on a flight is a sort of demented Alice through the Looking Glass lottery...the consolidators should be cheaper but occasionally there's a blip.

    I'm looking at flights for my mother...a way out yet... just to get an idea of what is available - and prices change from day to day for the same day of travel anticipated.

    Bring back British Railways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have speech recognition on my computer -- but have avoided dealing with it at all! At least you can say you tried and at the very least it provided some good laughs! Congratulations on your forthcoming trip -- it sounds like it's going to be wonderful -- but your kerfuffle with your French bank would have driven me around the bend!

    So happy to learn that TJ is improving and responding to treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried speech recognition software once and it was simply more trouble than it was worth. The new laptop sounds great, Trisha, and I'm so glad that TJ is improving and his family is getting more help. As for the trip, it will be fantastic, even if the process of booking was more than a little fraught. Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Fly, you have been a great help with my travelling 'learning curve', can't wait to get there! Don't think that they do a direct train to your neck of the woods though!

    And Ladies, I must admit that I am a lot more relaxed now, not so uptight, TJ is improving daily, albeit slowly, his mum is more confident about his recovery, my older sister is in place as a 'substitute mum in the UK.

    Himself is actually looking forward to a lengthy time away from his 'comfort' zone - all part of my plan to banish his depression! He actually accepts now that I was born to travel...

    I thank you all for your support and, incidentally, this is typed not dictated!!

    ReplyDelete