Wednesday 26 October 2011

Moving & Stress

We have a date for signing the acte de vente.

At last, we are no longer in limbo, we know when things are happening.

I have found though that I am waking at silly o'clock in the morning and mulling over all that needs to be done. My mind goes into overdrive.

Will the furniture go through the doors? Will it even negotiate the stairs? Will the house be warm? Will the house be quiet? Will it be noisy? Will the pets settle? Do I get some Feliway for the cats? Do they do a version for dogs? If not why not? What colour should the walls be? Will my man be happy there? Will I be happy there? and so it goes on, and on.

I try to put it all out of my mind, shelve it, file it, and all those thoughts creep into my conscience again. How long before we have telephone connection? Will the central heating work? How long before I get an oven and hob? How long to walk to the Spar? What do they sell? Then I doze and wake again, eventually dropping off around 7am and sleep through till around 9.30 am - and then wake from weird and wonderful dreams!!

STRESS!

Apparently moving house is one of the most stressful experiences one can have.

Yes, I agree.

Death, I believe, comes at the top of the list for stress and divorce is quite high up in the list (I have never been divorced).

I have not experienced a lot of death (sounds strange I know). I never knew my grandparents, they passed away before my parents married. I realised that I was missing something in my childhood as all of my contemparies had either a gran and granddad or both and I didn't. When my father-in-law passed away I felt a deep pain - he was a lovely guy and I adored him. When mum-in-law went we were here so the pain, in a way, was not so intense. She had lost her 'spark' many years before when dementia arrived. But, when my dear Dad died I was absolutely devastated, it hurt. Even now, 5 years on, I still find it hard to believe he is not here. That was stressful and even typing this brings back the sadness and pain.

I diverge, I was talking about the stress of moving....

At least, thrashing it out on here relieves some of the tension.

It seems that not only will we have the problem of moving house but I will also need surgery on my left elbow.

Some years ago I tripped on a kerb and, as one does, put my hands out to stop falling on my face and damaging the pleasant 'visage'. The ulna and radius in my left arm 'slipped' either side of the humerus and then replaced themselves. A lovely dislocation (and oh so painful)! I went to the doctor then hospital and they confirmed what had happened. My arm and hand swelled to twice its normal size - my fingers were like sausages (thank heavens I had the foresight to remove my wedding ring).. I was monitored and also had physiotherapy to help the recovery and got on with living.

Since then I have had intermittent problems with the elbow and just ignored it, put up with the inconvenience, and carried on working and living as one does.

Until now.

My little and ring finger go dead and are painful most of the time.

So off to see my GP who refers me to a neurologist. He checks and confirms that there is a nerve trapped in the elbow joint. He sends his findings to my GP. I go for a visit and she writes a prescription for me to see an orthopaedic surgeon. He needs an x-ray which I had today.

I seems that my elbow is 'deforme' and riddled with arthrose.... No wonder I have so much pain.

Rendezvous beginning November - will be interesting to see what the Ortho guy has to say!

Better get the packing done before then!!!!

Also, I remember one of my doctors in the UK telling me that I thrive on stress, I think he was right!!

4 comments:

  1. Trisha

    I thought I was the only one up at "Silly O'Clock"?

    When I was doing Trading Floor Support someone was once kind enough to tell me that...

    "Pressure doesn't hurt, it's only when you let it become Stress that it causes damage; we can do incredible things under pressure (think of war heroes/sporting heroes etc.) - we can't do anything worth doing if we let the pressure turn into stress!"

    Then he kicked me in the goolies and yelled that he was losing billions and it was all my fault!

    Please don't let the pressure turn into stress?

    All the best

    Keith

    P.S. The only time that I have ever (even including September 11 when I lost lots of colleagues/friends) taken time off work due to stress was... When I bought my first flat! I think I'd rather get divorced than go through that again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every sympathy!
    We went to the house to measure up for the kitchen today....and then a whole list of things 'to do' started to be written....
    I am sorry about your elbow...but you're being seen a lot faster than mum's cleaner in the U.K......she, poor girl, has had this trapped nerve for months and is only getting a neurologist appointment in November.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving and medical problems at the same time - no wonder you can't sleep, Trisha. The elbow sounds very painful, so I hope something really helpful can be done and that the move goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you Keith for your kind words, (God bless your colleagues/friends - may they be at peace) I think I was having a bad day yesterday...

    Slept well last night though and had weird dreams again but not too weird. Did I say that I spoke with someone called 'Ysabeau' in yesterdays dream. She did tell me that she was from the 'Otherworld' and that things would be OK.

    And Fly, I know your situation.. may it go well.xx

    Perpetua - as you know a woman can put up with pain! I have for a long time, just put it on a back burner and let it simmer.....

    Can't wait to move! :-)

    ReplyDelete